Monday, March 23, 2009

Together

The last few weeks Chris and I have been taking a parenting class at church. I have to say that for me it has really opened up my eyes to how precious our time is with our children. Not that I ever took it for granted before but just that I am becoming more in tune with the trust that I have been given to raise these babies to be best that they can be. To be compassionate, loving, nurturing, respectful, knowledgeable in life and the gospel, to have charity in their hearts, to seek out the good, to have values and stand for truth and to love their family whole heartedly. It is my responsibility to teach them these things and make our home a place that they feel safe and loved. A place that they can feel the spirit and also have fun, a place of peace. Kinda hard to do these things with a two and three year old. I mean really how do we teach these things and expect them to understand. Chris and I have discovered it's just about spending time with them and finding little ways to bond and show them that the best times are spent when we are together. The simplicity of planting flowers has become one of Anna's favorite past times. After one day of working outside with Chris and helping him plant some flowers she now has a sense of pride for those flowers. Each day as we walk out the front door she looks at me and says "Mom, look and my beautiful flowers Dadda and I planted." She even reminds me on days that it doesn't rain that we need to water the flowers. I guess I need to teach her about sprinklers! This past Friday night we spent the evening together enjoying our favorite treats while watching Rhino Rescue on the National Geographic Channel. Lukie and Anna watch this show over and over. Not sure why they love it but they do.
Thank goodness for frozen cookie dough. I don't have to make the cookies and no clean up!Lukie in on the rolling action. Hope his hands are clean...
Anna mixing the chocolate for some Frozen Hot Chocolate. Seriously I wish she would let me put clips in her hair. I don't know how she can see!!!
Lukie enjoying his drink. He wanted seconds and thirds!

Frozen Hot Chocolate
4oz of your favorite chocolate (We like to use milk chocolate chips--4oz =about 1 cup)
2 teaspoons store-bought hot chocolate powder
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
3 cups ice cube
slightly sweetened whipped cream
chocolate shavings (optional)
Chop chocolate into small pieces and melt in microwave on low heat. Once melted, add hot chocolate mix and sugar, stirring constantly until thoroughly blended. Remove from heat and slowly add 1/2 cup milk, stirring until smooth. Cool to room temperature.In blender, place the remaining 1 cup milk, room-temperature chocolate mixture and ice.Blend on high speed until smooth and the consistency of a frozen daiquiri. Enjoy!
Makes about 4 8 oz. servings from one batch.

2 comments:

nikki said...

What a sweet family night! You guys are doing a great job with your kids!

garian said...

Yummy, can't wait to try it!