That Blogging is good for your Health!

Have you heard about the latest research about blogging? The Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne has released the results of a study regarding the psychological implications of blogging. In their words:
Blogging helps you feel less isolated and more satisfied with your friendships, according to new research.
Blogging helps you feel less isolated and more satisfied with your friendships, according to new research.
The study essentially looked at two groups of people: those who use social networking sites but don't blog and didn't intend to, and those who do use those sites but plan on blogging. They were given a survey to fill out regarding their mental health.
Those who planned on blogging reported feeling more depressed and generally unsatisfied with their social situation.
Two months later, the participants were re-surveyed. All respondents stated that they felt less depressed, anxious, and better in general. However, those who had blogged felt more connected and happy with their social situation than those who didn't blog.
“Keeping a blog is a bit like writing a diary,” Baker said. “It helps people vent their emotions, talk about their feelings and problems. The difference is that while a diary is private, blogging invites feedback from others.”
After two months, the group was surveyed again with 59 responding. Those who had kept a blog felt more socially connected and were more satisfied with their social support and friendships than those who didn’t blog.
The key factor?
Comments.
Unlike a traditional diary, our blogs invite comments! If you're a blogger, you know how much each and every comment is appreciated. The sense of community and friendship that the blogosphere creates is a wonderful thing, indeed.
So, bloggers...keep on bloggin'! If you aren't and feel like your sense of connection to others is lacking, consider starting a blog of your own. It might do you a world of good.
*OK all you lurkers, a.k.a my friends and family I need your comments. Well I don't need them, but I would love to hear from each of you. Like the research said it will make me feel {happy}!
1 comment:
I completely agree with this article! I loved reading up on what all my friends were doing, so I started blogging too. I love it! It truly is addicting. I get mad when someone hasn't updated their blog in months. It's like reading a book and waiting for the next chapter.
Post a Comment