Saturday, May 3, 2008
Grateful for my fingers
I thought my little business was pretty safe. Until today. It was right before our May Chatterbox Designs workshop and I had one more piece of wood to cut. I thought I could get it done really quick, hop in the car and head over to Joy's. So in my effort to hurry I almost sliced my finger of with the table saw. It was all because I was in a hurry and over confident. Looking back I should have asked Chris for help or not tried to rush what I was doing. I've cut plenty of wood before and never had a problem but today I was just in a hurry and not totally focused on what I was doing. At the moment it happened I was in shock. The piece of wood slipped and my finger went strait towards the blade. It was only seconds, if that. I pulled my finger away and ran in the house. I didn't even scream. I guess I didn't want to panic anyone because I really didn't know how bad it was. I ran my finger under the water and realized that I had just grazed the skin. In my efforts to not be late I rapped it in a paper towel and went over to Joy's. It started throbbing as soon as I cleaned it up and put some gauze around it. I haven't really thought much about it until now. I have to say I'm having a bit of anxiety about it. It's finally hit me that I could be fingerless. I could have sliced off my finger today. I was that close. Not even close, it was more than a close call. My finger actually touched the blade. I am so LUCKY and BLESSED that I only had a few layers of skin sawed off. This is one of those moments I know that I am being watched over. That my heavenly father knew that all I needed was a warning to remind me to be focused and careful in all that I do. To remind me to be grateful for my fingers and everything else he had given me. I can only imagine the things that I am sometime not careful with. For instance, leaving Lukie on the changing table while I run and get wipes, not locking the cabinets with cleaning solutions even though I know Lukie can open them, leaving the scissors out where I know Anna can reach them, letting Luke play with the forks at the dinner table just so he will keep quite ( he could poke his eye out), leaving the iron on the unstable ironing board. There are so many other careless things that I do. I just needed this reminder to be more focused. I am so grateful for my fingers and I am grateful to have them to type with.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
OUCH!!! I am glad that you are okay and still have your fingers. How scary!
Post a Comment