Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Flashback

For the last three months I've been planning and preparing for the Ragnar Relay, Las Vegas. And now as I sit here trying to record my thoughts it seems so far away. It's like a blur. Did I really run the race? Was I really just in Las Vegas two days ago? I really ran in the middle of the night by myself down a dark deserted road? Was that really me running 3 miles at 3am? Did I only get two hours of sleep in 48 hours? YES! YES! and YES! What an amazing experience this ended up being for me. I was able to prove to myself that I could run even though I hated it. To be completely honest I still really don't like running but I made it through the race with not much complaining. My team my feel differently about that but they were so supportive and without Aaron, Alycia, Emily, Megan and Kevin I never would have made it the last three miles. The cheering and support they gave me at 3 a.m. was what I needed to get me to that last exchange point. I was most surprise by my brother. Usually he can be a bit negative and critical but through out the entire race he was so supportive. He continually told me I was doing a great job and that I just needed to do my best and not worry about anything else. He has no idea how much his positive attitude towards my lame running skills encouraged me to keep running. I was also so fortunate to have my close friend Alycia running with me. She is a true athlete and no matter how hard her runs were she made it happen. Up hill in the hot sun, she ran. Five miles at 4:30am with only two hours of sleep, she ran. She was truly my inspiration for when the going gets tough you stick it out and keep running. Best of all I had my mom their to hug me after every run. She was our number one cheerleader. This is one experience that I will never forget and look forward to doing again.
It's 6am and I'm trying to get some sleep on the ride to the start line.
Van 1. Alycia, Me, Aaron, Emily, Megan and KevinI'm looking a bit nervous. This is the start line and I remember thinking "what have I gotten myself into?" Ahhhh! The thought was caught on camera thanks to Mike.My first leg of the race. I was nervous and excited. I remember just feeling like I wanted to cry because I knew I was going to loose our lead and because I wasn't sure if I could do it and because I was excited that I really was running in the race.
My own personal cheerleaders. Mom and Livie running beside me and cheering me on. I'm almost to the end of my 3.5 miles.
Hanging out and trying to get some rest before our next set of runs.
Crossed the exchange line of my last run! After my last run as I'm cheering on my team I can't figure out why my flip-flops feel funny. Finally after about an hour I decide to look down and figure it out. One was mine and one was my brothers. That's what happens when you've had two hours of sleep in 24 hours.
Favorite Memories

The End!Although I am ready for my next ragnar I know that I will be more cautious and aware of my surroundings. This may have been a great experience for myself and my team but tragedy struck for another team. A runner was hit by a drunk driver and killed. My heart and prayer go out to Mike Kunz and his family.

5 comments:

nikki said...

I'm totally impressed! What a crazy, hard, good, fun weekend with people you love!!

Brooke said...

Happy to hear it went well!! On the other hand what a heartbreaking story...

garian said...

I am so, so, so very proud of you and Alycia. What an inspiraton. You go girls!!! I'm glad you're back home safe and sound (and sore).

Mary Child said...

Oh Mimi, CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is so exciting, and what a HUGE accomplishment. And how fun to share it with Alycia- that chick is COOL! WAY TO GO MIMI AND ALYCIA!!!

I'm so sorry to hear about Mike Kunz. That is absolutely heart-breaking. My thoughts and prayers also go out to his loved ones.

pinkappleboutique said...

Run Mimi Run! You guys did it! What an achievement. It is really something to be proud of. Way to go!